“It is through your body that you realize you are a spark of divinity.”
- Take advantage of new student specials– The first time I began yoga started with a 24-Hour Fitness membership that a friend and I signed up for. I had never taken a yoga class before but became instantly hooked. I decided I wanted to see what it was like at actual yoga studios. Most yoga studios have some great new student packages which usually are around $30-$40 for 30 days unlimited. This can help you find a studio that is just right for you.
- YouTube yoga videos– There are so many wonderful videos on YouTube that are not only free but very helpful. I’ve found that every instructor teaches differently and there are so many different ways to perform a pose that may be easier than you were originally taught. This also saves a lot of money for anyone that’s on a budget because some yoga studios can be quite pricey.
- Get some yoga props– Most of us start off with just a yoga mat which is absolutely fine, but later I found I was kicking myself because I really needed additional items. Blocks are great for helping with the alignment of poses and are usually provided at a yoga studio, but if you’re practicing at home, you definitely want to start off with at least two. Then of course there’s a yoga towel (which some studios require for non-slip reasons), yoga strap for loosening your hamstrings, and even a yoga wheel which I have yet to get but it’s a great item for getting that back to bend!
- Consistent practice– I really wish in the beginning I jumped in with both feet or not at all. There’s nothing wrong with practicing once or twice per week as long as it’s consistent. You want to try and avoid going whole week or two before going back to your mat again. I know it takes some drive and determination to want to practice daily and I eventually worked myself up to that point. It’s best to keep it steady so your body will adapt to the stretching and that way you can advance much faster.
- Cut that fast food out of your diet- This is something I wish I had done, and it could have saved me from a nasty bout of food poisoning. You want your immune system to be as strong as possible. If you can drink water only and make sure to take a multi-vitamin that can really help you. I know it’s hard to convert completely into a vegetarian but if you can try to avoid eating unhealthy that will help you advance faster. I found that my body began rejecting a lot of junk food I used to eat with no problem.
Well I hope these tips can help some potential yogis out there! Happy Halloween and Namaste!