7 Reasons to Switch to Organic Handmade Soap
The demand for healthier alternatives is at an all-time high, and there’s no better time to start using products that are safer, eco-friendly, and full of luscious botanicals and natural oils.
There are many harmful ingredients in soap and beauty bars that most people buy at their local supermarket or grocery store. Sure it’s cheaper and more convenient to buy, but at what cost? Here is a list of some of the negative factors involved in buying commercial soap:
- Synthetic Fragrance is a No-Go -The sweet perfume fragrance may be enticing but can cause severe irritation of the skin, worsen acne symptoms, cause allergies, and many other issues. Fragrance in commercial soap has also been linked to carcinogens, which is a substance that promotes the formation of cancer. This belief may be disputed, but sometimes it’s better to be safe than sorry.
- Sulfates are irritants- Sulfates are anionic detergents that are often included in shampoos and soaps to generate bubbles and produce a foaming effect. Sulfates can irritate the eyes, scalp, and cause dryness and flakiness. This chemical is also a frequently used pesticide. Who wants dry and itchy skin? I sure as hell don’t.
So here are some wonderful benefits of using organic hand-crafted soap:
- Healthier Skin- Choosing organic handmade soap provides more nourishment to the skin. There are so many different combinations to choose from with different ingredients. For example, honey and goat milk soap (preferably animal cruelty free) can reduce wrinkles, and is great for skin conditions such as psoriasis. Charcoal can remove toxins and unclog our pores. *Disclaimer- It’s best to perform a skin test before using any soap or cosmetic product.
Most commercial soaps strip all the good stuff and replace it with chemicals for mass production. With organic handmade soap, you get an infusion of all the best ingredients, leaving you’re skin looking healthy, youthful, and feeling luxurious!
- Natural Oils- Certified organic natural oils such as lavender, patchouli, lemon, peppermint, tea tree, and eucalyptus have many benefits but are not limited to: reducing stress and skin inflammation, alleviates pain and muscle aches, reduces headaches, and aromatherapy for relaxation. Essential oils are from plant roots, stems, flowers or seeds. Very few drops are added in handmade soap because it’s extremely potent.
- Extracts- Aha! This is probably one of my favorites of them all. Handmade soap usually contain different extracts such as Himalayan salt, poppy seeds, oatmeal, sage, clay, herbs, spices, mint, rosemary, seaweed, lemongrass, even coffee! These extracts can really soothe and exfoliate the skin, providing a deep cleanse leaving you feeling like a million bucks.
- Glycerin- Glycerin is sugar-alcohol compound and humectant, that attracts moisture to the skin. Glycerin nourishes the skin leaving it soft, silky, and smooth. Unfortunately, it’s usually not found in commercial soap but is frequently found in most organic handmade soap.
- Vegan and Eco-Friendly- There are organic homemade soaps that use a vegetable base, and don’t contain any animal products. Organic soap is biodegradable and gentle on the atmosphere. Another extra bonus is the eco-friendly packaging that most handmade soaps come in. Our oceans are filled with too much plastic and it’s great to support companies that use bio-degradable materials.
In conclusion, if you haven’t already, switching to organic handmade soap will help keep your skin healthy, radiant, and prevents harmful toxins and irritants from damaging the skin and possibly worse. The price of organic handmade soap varies and may be more expensive than commercial soap, but the results are well worth it.
Thank you for reading. Namaste.